Smith & Nephew
This Item is Final Sale
An antimicrobial dressing utilizing advanced silver technology to help create an optimal wound environment.
- Rayon/polyester core helps manage moisture level.
- Silver-coated high-density polyethylene mesh facilitates the passage of silver through the dressing.
- The nanocrystalline coating of pure silver delivers antimicrobial barrier activity within 30 minutes - faster than other forms of silver.
- ACTICOAT's antimicrobial technology is able to produce silver-coated polyethylene films that can release an effective concentration of silver over several days. Thus, as silver ions are consumed, additional silver is released from the dressing to provide an effective antimicrobial barrier. This patented silver-based antimicrobial technology can be applied to a wide range of medical devices including wound dressings. This technology was first applied to burn wound dressings because burns present a very severe risk of infection.
- Delivers fast-acting, long-lasting antimicrobial barrier control.
- Effective barrier which may assist in preventing contamination of the wound.
- Laboratory studies show that ACTICOAT 7 dressing kills micro-organisms faster than conventional products such as silver sulfadiazine (1 percent cream) or silver nitrate (0.5%) solution. It has also been shown in-vitro to provide protection against more than 150 pathogens. The pathogens tested in the lab include resistant strains of bacteria such as antibiotic-resistant strains of Pseudomonas, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus and fungi. These pathogens have been known to infect many patients with already weakened immune systems. Infections contracted during hospitalization caused by these so-called superbugs and other organisms cost North American taxpayers an estimated $18 billion a year in additional hospital care.
- ACTICOAT 7 is versatile. The dressings can be cut to the desired shape and size to wrap around all body parts.
- The sustained release of silver also means fewer dressing changes, resulting in less exposure of the wound bed to the environment. This reduces the risk of infection, which lowers costs to hospitals.
- ACTICOAT 7 is cost-effective because it can be left on wounds for up to 7 days.
ACTICOAT 7 dressing is an effective barrier to bacterial penetration. The barrier function of the dressing may help reduce infection in partial and full thickness wounds including decubitus ulcers, venous stasis ulcers, diabetic ulcers, first and second degree burns, and donor sites. ACTICOAT 7 dressings may be used over debrided and grafted partial thickness wounds.
Contraindications / Precautions
- For external use only.
- Should not be used on patients with a known sensitivity to silver.
- May cause transient discoloration.
- Not compatible with oil-based products, such as petrolatum.
- Not compatible with MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) procedures.
- Should not come in contact with electrodes or conductive gels during electronic measurements.
- Avoid exposure to temperatures above 120 degrees F. (50 degress C.)
- Do not use if product color is not uniform.
Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns
All orders are processed within 3 to 5 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) after receiving your order confirmation email. Your order will then be confirmed based on inventory, availability and price accuracy. You will be notified of any change to your order as soon as possible.
You will receive another notification when your order has shipped. There may be a potential delay in your order due to a high volume of orders or postal service problems. If so, you will be notified as soon as possible. For more information visit our Shipping & Return Policy